Red Gram Dal - 1cup
Small onion - 1 cup (peeled)
Tamarind juice - 1 tbs
Tomatoes - 2nos
Green Chillies - 2nos
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander seeds - 2 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal - 2 tsp
Red Chillies - 8
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Gram - 1 tbs
Coconut - 1/4 cup (Grated)
Salt to taste
channa dal, red chillies and fenugreek seeds till golden.
2. Fry one onion and 1 tomato with little oil separately.
3. Grind everything with 1/4 cup of grated fresh coconut and
1 tbs of roasted gram
4. Heat oil in a shallow pan and fry the small onions for a minute or two.
5. Add enough water and boil till soft
6. Cook red gram dal in pressure cooker and mash well.
7. Soak the tamarind and extract.
8. Mix the onions, mashed dal, tamarind extract, ground paste
with salt, slit green chillies, tomatoes.
9. Boil with enough water.
10. When the sambar is thick remove from fire.
11. Heat one tsp of oil and add mustard seeds to splutter.
12. Pour over sambar with little asafoetida powder.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves.
14. Serve with idli or dosai.